March 28, 2017
We know entertaining kids constantly in your own homes is daunting! We can just imagine the sudden onset of cold sweats your experiencing just thinking about it in a different country.
So to all the anxious, finger nail biting parents out there we are here to help! We have put together a list of wonderful, sometimes long activities for you and your family to do while vacationing in Barbados.
We have even included restaurants that offer the ideal “kids menu” as well as perfect beach spots for safe swimming and adult relaxation!
Laid out across four acres of mahogany forest, the Reserve is truly unique. Being a natural habitat animals are allowed to roam freely. As such your family will come into close with the reserve’s wildlife, including green monkeys, turtles, iguanas and tortoises.
Tip: Ask the guides for the specific time the monkeys are feed, its not something you would want to miss! In addition if you are planning a trip to the Reserve, why not pack a picnic and go and enjoy the rest of your day at Farley Hill National Park. Its breezy and cool with a playground to entertain your children.
Contact: (246) 422-8826 for any questions
- Adults: BDS $23.50
- Children: BDS $11.25
- Daily, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Explore one of Barbados’ greatest natural wonders. Comprised of crystallized limestone, the cave is truly a must see while on the island!
Contact:(246) 417-3700 to book your tour or visit the website, http://www.harrisonscave.com
The Tram Tour
- Tour runs for 1 Hour
- Adults US $30.30 / BDS$60.00
- Children US$15.15 / BDS$30.00
- Daily, 8:45 am to 3:45 pm
Known as a truly unforgettable excursion in Barbados! You can enjoy a day of exploring the most beautiful/ hidden places both on-road and off-road.
Contact: (246) 429-5337 to book your tour
- Includes drinks and lunch
- Travelers are collected from their place of accommodation (conditions apply)
- Tour runs for 5 1/2 Hours
- BDS $190.00 per adult (13 +)
- BDS $125 per child (5-12, note children under the age of 5 are not allowed to join the tour)
OUT TO SEA
Paddle Boarding – Whats Up Barbados
Spend a thrilling day on the water mastering a new skill. The lesson begins on the beach by Port St. Charles and migrates to the water for an active hour of paddling.
Note: Best suited for families with kids 7 and older, who are quite strong or athletically inclined. However the guide Ryan is willing to create a special day catered to families with smaller kids. Please keep in mind that in this instance it will not be a normal lesson or guided tour. Younger kids however can join a normal class if they are willing to sit on a board with an adult or the guide himself.
Contact: (246) 243-7878 , ask for Ryan
- Beach lesson and introduction
- In water orientation
- One hour guided paddle tour
- Cold water included at the end of the lesson
- 2 hours
- US $50 per person
Experience an underwater adventure in a real life submarine. One of the most highly recommend tours on the island.
Contact: (246) 436-8929 to book your tour or visit the website, barbados.atlantissubmarines.com
- Minimum age of 4 with a mandatory height requirement of 3ft
- Fully narrated the tour takes you to the underwater shipwreck once reserved solely for divers.
- Total of 90 minutes with 45 minutes spent underwater
- Adults US $104.00
- Children US $52.00
Enjoy a day on the water! The cruise offers buffet meals on-board, a well stocked bar, friendly staff and in water activities.
Tip: For our parents we recommend sipping the rum punch slowly. The fabulous concoction though ideal for your day of total relaxation is potent.
Contact: (246) 436 4456, be sure to book your day on the water in advance!
- Guests are provided with a light breakfast, lunch and drinks during their cruise
- Swim with the turtles, snorkel or simply work on your tan
- Jammin provides a number of floaties and life jackets so parents can enjoy the day without worry.
- 5 hours (Runs from 9:00 am-2:30 pm everyday)
- Adults US $90.00 / BDS $180.00
- Children US $40.00 / BDS $80.00
ACTION & ADVENTURE
Bushy Park – Go Karting
For the budding car lover and speed junkie this is the perfect activity. Both parents and children can take part!!
Contact: (246) 537-1360 for more information of visit their website,
- Tuesday – Sunday
- 9:00 am – 430: pm
- 10 minutes on the Track – US $25.00 per child
- Grand Prix, 20 minutes on the Track – US $50.00 per child
Older Kids & Adults – Ages 12 +
- 10 minutes on the Track – US $70.00 per person
- Grand Prix, 20 minutes on the Track – US $140.00 per person
Experience the beauty and advanced engineering of the Concorde. This outstanding aircraft traveled the globe capturing the hearts of many travelers, only to make its final resting place on the island of Barbados.
Contact: (246) 420 7738 for more information
- A full guided tour; watch a video presentation as well as experience the inside of the plane first hand with an on board look!
- Monday – Saturday
- 9:00 am to 3:45 pm
- Ages 4-13, BDS $25.00 per person
- Ages 13+, BDS $40.00 per person
- Family ( a special rate for 2 adults and 2 children), BDS 110.00
Become invested in the island by seeing first hand its history and development. The Museum also has a Children’s corner.
Contact: (246) 427 0201 for more information
- Monday to Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sundays 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Children 5-12, BDS 10.00
- Adults 12+, BDS $20.00
George Washington House
A beautifully restored 18th Century Plantation House where George Washington stayed in 1751.
Tip: Be sure to see the tunnels! This tour is perfect for some Caribbean insight but also exploration.
Contact: (246) 234 6067 for more information or to book your tour
- Monday to Friday: 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Adults, BDS$20.00/ US$10.00
Children: BDS$5.00/ US$2.50 (5–12 years)
George Washington House & Garrison Tunnels
- Adults – BDS $30.00 / US $15.00
Children – BDS $15.00 / US $7.50 (5 – 12 years)
PLACES TO EAT
Although most restaurants on the island come equipped with specialized “Children Menus” we would recommend the following:
- Chefette – The islands local fast food chain, equipped with a playground!
- Cuz’s Fish Shack – fish and cheese sandwiches located on the beach. Beers are available for mum and dad!
- Oistins Fish Fry – an exciting Friday treat, local music, drinks and dishes; kids can try fish cakes, there’s also chips for sale etc.
- Champers – caters to kids with a separate menu
- Tides – Fine Dining, caters to kids with a separate menu
- Castaways – Ideally located on the water in St. Lawrence Gap, the restaurant caters to kids with a separate menu.
- Chilly Moos Ice-Cream – perfect for an after lunch treat
- Blakey’s on the Boardwalk
- Art Splash – on Saturdays there is a local farmers market and brunch
- Fish Pot
- Mullins Bar
A few of our favourite beaches!
One of the most popular beaches on the South Coast! Though it can get crowded we recommend setting up shop by the Tiki Bar. The swimming on that side is much better, plus mum and dad will have access to beach amenities and the desired alcoholic beverage!
Carlisle Bay – Pebbles:
Located just before the Hilton Hotel, this beach is one of our personal favorites. Crystal blue water and white sands. Here you will find both umbrellas and chairs for rent, not to mention paddle boards!
If you feeling hungry after a long day in the sun be sure to indulge in a local favourite – Cuz Cutters.
Bay Street – Boatyard:
Go and spend the day at the Boatyard! Perfect for families looking to relax carefree; the beach club provides cabanas, chairs, a snorkeling tour as well as in water activities.
One of the most popular beaches on the West Coast of the island! You family will find all the necessitates needed to spend a full day at the beach – chairs, umbrellas and a beach bar for drinks and food.
For the adventurists! Bathsheba is located on the East of the island and is structured completely different from the other beaches on island. Barred by reef, the water is sectioned out into small pools. Here you and your family can explore what is known as the island rugged coast.
When hunger strikes find yourself enjoying a lovely meal at Round House – the coconut shrimp is a must try!